View all news articles

Office refurb job exposes 18 builders to asbestos

A refurbishment contractor has been fined a total of £45,000 and ordered to pay £36,943 in costs after it exposed employees, agency staff and members of the public to asbestos.

The incident happened during a refurbishment project at offices in Sentinel House, Poole over a period of several weeks in 2009.

An HSE vist revealed widespread contamination and spread of asbestos both inside and outside the building.

MJC workers carried out the removal of asbestos insulation board ceiling over two weeks while wearing normal work clothes that became contaminated with asbestos fibres.

This may have led to the exposure of many more members of the public during their journey to and from the site over this two week period.

Speaking after the hearing, HSE Inspector, Helena Tinton, said: "This was a very serious incident which carries severe risks for people's health.

"The firm didn't carry out a suitable survey for asbestos material before the work started and failed to provide protection for workers on site.

"Regulations on dealing safely with asbestos have been in place for many years and are widely known in the industry.

"This totally needless incident would not have happened if MJC had carried out proper assessments and had trained staff on site."

For the full story click here



View all news articles