View all news articles

Birds pecking roof caused warehouse worker to die from cancer

A man died from cancer after being exposed to asbestos from birds pecking at a roof where he worked for 13 years. 

Anthony Jones, from Frampton on Severn in Gloucestershire  was just 57 when he died in June from mesothelioma, a lung cancer for which the only known cause is asbestos exposure.

At an inquest in Gloucester, senior coroner Katy Skerrett concluded that Mr Jones had died from an industrial disease.

The hearing was told that he had never worked with, or near, asbestos and the only known source of his exposure was dust falling on him as birds pecked away at the crumbly roof of the cash and carry where he worked between 1972 and 1985. 

The coroner said: 'This was not the type of employment where you would expect to be exposed to asbestos. 

After the inquest Mr Jones' sister, Margaret Ball, said: 'He was going in and out of the building all the time because he would load goods up for customers and wheel them out to their vehicles.

'All the time this dust was floating down on him and it looks as if that is the reason he got this terrible disease years later.'

A post mortem report on Mr Jones by pathologist Dr Linmarie Ludeman found he had 19,355 asbestos fibres in each gram of dry lung tissue - a level consistent with work exposure.

For the full story click here


View all news articles